Saturday, May 24, 2008

Oprah, quotes & "A Lenten Fast From Violence" revisited

This is a post I decided not to send to one of my listservs. But it falls within the definition of a mini-rant. So I'll post it here:




Hi, all. I added links & quotes pertaining to Oprah's 21 day vegan cleanse on my site, along with things that came to mind as I went from link to link, both on her site and elsewhere.

If you look (or if you continue reading this) you might gather that after all these years, it still irks me, whenever I think about it, that our churches -- or the World Council of Churches(!) -- will not even mention giving up meat for Lent as an "option" for people to consider. Well, I know of one exception among us, in another part of the country. But I guess one has to be a veg'n to "preach it", because no one else will -- unless they're Orthodox, and observing a vegan Lent is the norm -- and from what I understand, the expectation to even be able to take Communion (with dispensations for the young and the elderly). As I've lamented in the past, The Episcopal Church is either too "protestant", or too self-indulgent (which is more likely the case), to care about such vestigial practices as self-examination, penitence and self-denial, even for the one season out of the Church Year that is set aside for that kind of thing.

Well, I'm thankful that Oprah is doing this.

Maybe her fans will take notice.

Sue


“How can you say you’re trying to spiritually evolve, without even a thought about what happens to the animals whose lives are sacrificed in the name of gluttony?”
– Oprah

No comments: