Sunday, April 27, 2008

Rogation Sunday

So, today was Rogation Sunday. I had a little bit of hope that today would be the day I could interest some people in my church to join me in gardening this summer, with the intent of growing a few organic things for ourselves, and to share the extras with others at church including our Community Meal (soup kitchen).

This was the dangling carrot I invented for myself, to have a reason to continue going to church "for a season".

Nothing was planned for Rogation, except for the choice of hymns. I asked my priest (who liked my idea last September) if she would say something during the announcements, or if I could. She suggested that I do it, because she might forget. And so I did.

On the way out, I asked if she could bless my seeds. She wasn't sure, because the cancer support group was doing the forum (which we don't have on a regular basis) and said it would depend on time, etc., depending on what's going on with their presentation.

So during the forum, I sat at a long table next to my set-up card table. (I also had my copy of the Book of Occasional Services on the table in front of me.) She ended up sitting next to me. But as soon as the cancer presentation was finished, she got up and left.

So not only did I feel completely unsupported, as if I were the "Weed of the Church", I was subjected to the group who is encouraging us to support the Relay for Life, where the proceeds go to the American Cancer Society -- and the main chunk goes to (animal) research to "find a cure". Whatever.

No group in that church gets much support, if any, from the rest of the congregation. The church is "unresponsive".

I was visably upset before I left, and told one guy why (not a member, but a regular attendee) -- not just because of today, but because of the benign neglect (a passive way of saying "no") over the unpreviewed Proclamation DVD. I asked the guy who does the liturgical schedule to take me off, because I am in need of a "sabbatical".

One lady showed some interest in taking some lettuce, radish & cilantro seeds. But she has an apartment balcony, so doesn't really have room to grow much. Even so, since she's just one person, I really don't need to go back to church on a regular basis. I'll go back when I have something worthwhile to offer the church -- like my extra potatoes.



Even though it was cold today, I'm glad I wore my new "Episcopally-correct" T-shirt to church. It has the ENAW logo on the front, above a quote:

"Speak up for those who have no voice,
for the cause of those appointed to die."

-- Proverbs 31:8 [NKJV variation]

And on the back, it has one of the Baptismal promises from the BCP:

"Do you renounce the evil powers of the world which corrupt and destroy the creatures of God?"

"I renounce them."


Another thing that bothers me is that the intercessions for the Prayers of the People are always cleared out, or non-existent. I have a friend in hospice care, and it is like pulling teeth to try to keep her on the church's prayer list. What's up with that?!


Basically, church depresses me. Why waste the gas to go? It takes me about two weeks to recover.

No comments: