Sunday, March 30, 2008

What kind of God do we worship?

When I Google for "I desire mercy and not sacrifice", my "boycott fur" page shows up # 5 out of 1,610,000.
When someone in NZ Googled for
the same thing
, my page showed up # 3 out of 1,580,000. This is what shows up on Google:

'I desire mercy and not sacrifice', says God. Boycott fur.
31 Dec 2005 ... "I desire mercy and not sacrifice." -- God (Hosea 6:6). Of all the forms of animal exploitation that
benefit humankind, fur is the easiest ...
episcoveg.weblogger.com/2005/12/31 - 30k - Cached - Similar pages

Interesting that there's a difference in ranking & number, depending on where one is in the world.

Another page that shows up on that Google search is this one
this one from the Girardian Lectionary
with some anti-sacrifice quotes attributed to the same God who is credited for our Maundy Thursday reading that some of us found substitutes to read, to avoid "doing violence to our faith".

(As I've mentioned in the past, one of my favorite questions that the "unhappy" Episcopalians do not seem to have an answer for, or are unwilling to engage when they talk about the "plain meaning of Scripture" is, does God desire mercy and not sacrifice? Or does God desire sacrifice and not mercy? The "plain meaning" doesn't seem so plain to me. Inquiring minds want to know.)

Choose this day....

http://bible.oremus.org/?ql=73802486

"And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve;
whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood,
or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell:
but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
(Joshua 24:15 KJV)

No comments: